Biržai Region Museum Sėla
Address: J. Radvilos g. 3, LT-41175, BiržaiPhone: (8 450) 33390Fax: (8 450) 31883E. Mail: sela[at]birzumuziejus.ltLink
Address: J. Radvilos g. 3, LT-41175, Biržai. Tel.: +370 450 31 883. E-mail sela[at]birzumuziejus.lt Website www.birzumuziejus.lt/ The Sėla Biržai Region Museum gradually settled in the newly restored representational palace of the castle in 1978–1988. From the Dutch-style bastion-type fortress that was built by the Radvila dukes and used to defend Lithuania’s northern borders in the 17th-18th centuries, two gunpowder buildings and a bridge have so far been restored. The restoration of the arsenal was recently begun. Biržai Museum was established on 16 February 1928. On 9 March 1989, celebrating the 400th anniversary of the Magdeburg Rights being granted to the town of Biržai, the museum opened its doors to visitors once again inside the restored palace of Biržai Castle. In 1991, it was renamed the Sėla Biržai Region Museum, as Biržai is situated on lands where the ancient tribe of Selonians used to live many centuries ago. Biržai Fortress was built in 1575–1589 by the hetman of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Kristupas Radvila Perkūnas (154721603). In 1625–1627, it was occupied by the Swedish army and destroyed. A second castle, which took almost 50 years of restoration, was a different, Dutch type of defensive structure while the first was Italian. By 1682, the fortress palace, fortifications and 21 other buildings made a huge defensive complex. In the 17th and early 18th centuries, Biržai became Lithuania’s main fortress in its wars with Sweden due to its geographical position in the north of the country. The Polish-Lithuanian King Augustus II himself visited Biržai Castle and the Russian tsars Peter I and Alexander I each visited it twice. In 1701, Polish-Lithuanian King Augustus II and Russian Tsar Peter I signed a treaty to unite their armies against the Swedes. However, on 14 September 1704, the fortress was destroyed a second time by the Swedish army. It was only in 1988 that the fortress’ representational palace was restored. In 2001, the 42.5m fortress bridge was rebuilt according to a project by the architect E. Purlis. Two years later, the roof tiles of the palace were changed. In 2008–2010, the project Strengthening Biržai Castle Walls and Foundations and Adapting the Castle for Cultural and Other Public Needs, co-financed by Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway according to EU funding rules, was completed. In 2010, restoration of the arsenal began, sponsored by EU structural funds and the local municipality. The Sėla Biržai Regional Museum offers a visit to a unique exhibition, Old Ways of Brewing, and the adult education class “Žaldokas Beer”. Participants will be introduced to accessories used in the ancient brewing process, the technologies of home brewing – and the hospitable traditions of the people of Aukštaitija. Sitting at a white-cloth table you will sample Biržai beer, cheese and bread, and listen to a folklore ensemble that promotes the local region’s musical traditions by playing “supper songs” (songs sung while treating guests). There’s also an opportunity to try out local wind instruments, horns, singing and dancing. The program is only for adults and should be booked in advance. The special version with wedding traditions for newlyweds and their guests is offered.
Kaunas City Museum
Address: M. Valančiaus g. 6, LT-44275, Kaunas Phone: (8 37) 20 82 20E. Mail: miestomuziejus[at]kaunas.lt Link
Kaunas City Museum is the main oldest museum in Kaunas. It represents the history of Kaunas, shows political and cultural life and tells the visitors the most important and interesting facts about the city. The museum pursues the activities of the first Kaunas City Museum, which was opened in 1897 under the title and the Museum of Science and Industry. The museum was re-established on October 20, 2005 as a Kaunas city municipal public institution and located in a classical building M. Valančius str. 6, where lived Bishop M. Valančius and Cardinal V. Sladkevičius. Founder of the Museum is Kaunas city Municipality. The museum has five departments: Kaunas Castle, Resistance and Deportation Exhibition, M. and K. Petrauskai Lithuanian Music Museum, Juozas Gruodis Memorial Museum, Povilas Stulga’s Museum of Lithuanian Folk Instruments. The museum accumulates collections of the city history, science and industry, culture and art, sound and video, and archaeology.
Address: Vilniaus g. 20, LT-97104, Kretinga Phone: (8 445) 77 323, Informacijos ir edukacijos skyrius (8 445) 77 612Fax: (8 445) 77 323E. Mail: kretingosmuziejus[at]takas.ltLink
The idea of the Musem\'s establishment has been nurtured and carried out by teacher Juozas Žilvitis (1903–1975). In January 1935, the council of the Kretinga region approved Kretinga Museum Committee. On July 12,1935, inauguration of the Museum took place in a building of Kretinga\\\\\\\'s Municipality. In the beginning of 1936, the museum was moved to a rented house in Kęstutis Street. On September 5, 1940, the museum was declared a state institution. The Kretinga Region Museum became a branch of Kaunas State Museum (now Vytautas the Great War Museum). In 1922, the museum was established in Count Tiškevičiai Manor, which dates back to the 19th century. The Manor is surrounded by a park. Next to the Manor there is the Botanical Garden (Greenhouse). The founder of the Museum is the Kretinga Region Municipality. The museum collection consists of archaeological finds, numismatics, collections of 17th–19th century applied art and paintings, folk sculpture, ethnographic and historic domestic life exhibits. Expositions: Archaeological exposition „Prehistory of Kretinga region“, Exposition of the history and culture of the palace, Botanical Garden (Greenhouse), Ethnographic exposition „Circle of the sun“
Lithuanian Art Museum
Address: Bokšto g. 5, LT 01126, VilniusPhone: (8 5) 262 80 30Fax: (8 5) 212 60 06E. Mail: muziejus[at]ldm.ltLink
Lithuanian Art Museum is a public institution granted the national museum status by the Government of Lithuania in 1997. Originally founded in 1933, the museum is one of the oldest and leading institutions of its kind in the country, the member of ICOM. It is distinguished for its rich Fine Arts collection that totals to about 230 thousand exhibit items which represent Old and Contemporary Master Paintings, Sculpture Prints and Drawings, Applied and Folk Art as well rare amber stone and jewellery specimens and other museum objects. Geographically the museum covers nearly all the territory of the Republic of Lithuania through the network of its branch museums, including Vilnius Picture Gallery, the Museum of Applied Arts, Museum of the Radvilas Palace, the National Art Gallery that are located in the country’s capital city Vilnius, as well the Clock Museum and Pranas Domšaitis Gallery in Klaipėda city, the Palanga Amber Museum in Palanga and the Museum of Miniature Arts in Juodkrantė, the popular coastal resort towns. In addition, the Lithuanian Art Museum is a renown centre for preservation works carried out by its Pranas Gudynas Restoration Centre.
Lithuanian Sea Museum
Address: Smiltynės g. 3, LT-93100, KlaipėdaPhone: +370 46 49 07 40Fax: +370 46 49 07 50E. Mail: ljm[at]muziejus.ltLink
The Lithuanian Sea Museum is a unique complex that introduces marine biology and marine history for the visitors. It has no analogues in the Baltic coast. The main goal of this water world exploring centre is to collect and preserve historical and biological values related to the sea, to spread the ideas of ecology, to strengthen the maritime image of the country, and enable the discovery of the mysterious water world. The main mission of the Lithuanian Sea Museum is based on its core idea: ‘Together we are learning to explore, enjoy and preserve our harmony with the sea’. Since 1993 dolphins live in the Dolphinarium of the Lithuanian Sea Museum. They not only take part in the shows and give birth to their cubs, but also help children in a therapy programmes. Lithuanian Sea Museum is the most visited museum in Lithuania – in 2014, the museum was visited by the nearly half a million visitors.
Open Air Museum of Lithuania
Address: L. Lekavičiaus g. 2, Rumšiškės, Kaišiadorių rajonas.Phone: (8 346) 47 392Fax: (8 346) 47 120E. Mail: info[at]llbm.ltLink
Open Air Museum of Lithuania is one of the most important cultural tourism objects in Lithuania. The Museum covers a territory of 195 ha and has the biggest quantity of real exhibits, making it one of the largest open-air ethnographic museums in Europe. More than 180 structures are preserved and exhibited here. Expositions are open for the visitors from Easter to October 31st. Cultural and educational activities are organized: exhibitions, concerts, traditional calendar and family holidays, various events, educational programs. Open Air Museum of Lithuania is the only ethnographic museum in Lithuania. It presents for the visitors from Lithuania and abroad a project of minimized Lithuanian ethnographic areas. One sector of the museum is dedicated for remembrance of the Lithuanians exiled to Siberia and resistance movement – here you can see partisans’ dugout, restored wagons used for deportations, some commemorative monuments. Open Air Museum of Lithuania is an exclusive museum in the European context for that it demonstrates tillage systems and evolution of the settlements. The largest collections of ethnographic heritage are stored in the museum. Some exhibits, like preserved wooden architecture structures, could only be seen here, in the Open Air Museum of Lithuania. The Museum was established in Rumšiškės, Pievelių village, in 1966 (opened for the visitors since 1974).
Marija and Jurgis Šlapeliai House-Museum
Address: Pilies g. 40, LT-01123, Vilnius.Phone: (8 5) 261 07 71.Fax: (8 5) 261 07 71.E. Mail: slapeliumuziejus[at]gmail.com Link
The Museum was established in 1991 in the residence which M. and J. Šlapeliai bought in 1926. The house is a monument of 17th century architecture. Jurgis Šlapelis (1876–1941) was a linguist, physician, culture and social figure, Marija Šlapelienė (1880–1977) – the founder of Lithuanian bookshop which functions in 1906–1949, publisher, and performer in Lithuanian operas and theatrical productions. The collection of the museum includes books, newspapers, documents and miscellaneos items which belonged to the family. Objects, pertaining to the cultural and scientific heritage of Eastern Lithuania from the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th centuries are being accumulated. Exposition reflects the life of the Vilnius region from the second part of the 19th century to 1940. The ban on the Lithuanian press between 1864 and 1904 threatened the survival of the Lithuanian language. National revival activists seeing the desperate state of the Lithuanian nation and language believed that their main goal was to fight for the preservation of the language. The exponents demonstrate how, with the lifting of the ban, book publishers became active and printing houses were opened, how new societies were set up and how education and the press received more attention. The exposition reflects other cultural events that fostered and led to political change which brought about Lithuania\'s independence in 1918.
The National Museum – Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania
Address: Katedros a. 4, LT-01143 VilniusPhone: (8 5) 212 74 76, 262 00 07Fax: (8 5) 212 74 70E. Mail: info[at]valdovurumai.ltLink
The National Museum – Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania was founded in 2009 to collect, preserve, conserve, restore, research, interpret, and display in the restored historical residence of Vilnius Lower Castle the history and cultural heritage of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and its rulers, especially the rich and important collections of archaeological artifacts and European decorative and fine arts from the Gothic to the Baroque periods as well as important materials related to Lithuanian philology. This reconstructed historical residence in the heart of Lithuania’s capital aspires to become, once again, the traditional symbol of Lithuania’s long-lived statehood, an object of national pride, a center for civic education and historical consciousness-raising, a unifying force for Lithuanians from around the world, and an important venue for state ceremonial events and the dissemination of tourist information about Lithuania and its historic sites. The Museum will do this through its scholarship and publications, innovative educa tional programs and tours, performances, as well as permanent and temporary exhibitions.
Address: Laisvės a. 1, LT-18111, Švenčionys.Phone: (8 387) 51 831E. Mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgLink
More than 62 thousand archaeological, natural, historical and ethnographic exhibits are accumulated in Nalšia Museum. There are three expositions and one exhibition hall. The Mesolithic Age and The Late Iron Age finds are exhibited in these expositions. All of the finds were accumulated during the archaeological excavations in Švenčionys District. Fossils, stuffed birds and animals from Švenčionys Region are displayed in Nature exhibition and collection of numismatics, literature, photography and historical artefacts are exhibited in historical hall. Ethnographical exposition consists of machinery, applied and fine arts and ethnic culture. Approximately every month a new exhibition is opened. Educational activities (‘Lithuanian Calendar holidays’, ‘Learning to chant contractual’, ‘Weave white canvas, sister’ etc.) are continually developed, and concerts, conferences are held. The museum takes part in various projects, publishes books (‘Mansions and Manors of Švenčionys Region: Historical Past and Present’, ‘Names Indelible of the Flow of Time. Renowned People of Švenčionys Region’), organizes outbound educational activities (‘Travelling ethno-school of Nalšia Museum’) and ethnographical expeditions. The Ethnographic museum of Švenčionys was founded in February, 1945. In 1992 ‘The Ethnographic museum of Švenčionys’ was renamed to ‘Nalšia Museum’. In 2000 the museum welcomed new visitors in a new building.
Vaclovas Intas Museum of Rare Stones
Address: Salantų g. 2, LT-98271 Mosėdis, Skuodo rajonas.Phone: (8 440) 76 291, (8 440) 76 311 (direktorius)Fax: (8 440) 76 352E. Mail: email@example.comLink
Vaclovas Intas Museum of Rare Stones stores rich collections of unique stones of Lithuania. The collection of more than 150 000 stones and pebbles is exposed, including rock boulders from the Baltic region, widespread in the North, East, Middle and West Lithuania. The biggest stone of the Museum weighs 50 tons, the smallest hardly some grams. The Museum also accumulates tree-sections from trees growing in Lithuania. Chamber mineralogical petrographical exposition of stones. It presents classified rock fragments, geological maps, displays rare stones. The exposition represents in a close form the typical boulders of crystal rocks of various types from the glacial epoch, which are found in Lithuania. Field exposition is laid out by origin of stones in the area of 14 ha. The rock boulders from the East, Middle and West Finland, from the bottom of the Finnish Gulf, from the Aland Isles, from the bottom of the Botnic Bay, from the South, Middle, North Sweden, which traveled to Lithuania during the glacial epoch (approximately before 700 000-13 000 years) are laid out in a consecutive geographical order. Vaclovas Intas (1925–2007) is the establisher of the Museum of Rare Stones. In 1955 he graduated from the Kaunas Medical Institute and started working at the Mosėdis Hospital. V. Intas brought plants of 1 300 species from the Soviet Union’s botanical gardens and decorated the whole Mosėdis. From 1957 he started collecting stones. Since 1971 big stones formed the Museum of Stones. V. Intas was and still is assisted by many people who helped to establish and further develop the Museum. The establisher was awarded by numerous diplomas, letters of honor and thanks.
Culture History Museum of Rietavas Oginskiai
Address: L. Ivinskio g. 4, LT-90311 RietavasPhone: (8 ~ 448) 68 992Fax: (8 ~ 448) 68 992 E. Mail: rokimuziejus[at]gmail.com Link
Opening hours: Monday – Friday 8–17; Saturday, Sunday visits by arrangement. Tel. +370 448 68 992, mob. +370 698 21 426 Museum was opened in 1995. The bilding of the museum in 1874–1903 was music school of the duke Bogdan Oginskis (1848–1909). Collection The museum collection consists of archaeological findings, historical and ethnographical items, printings, photography, numismatics and philately exhibits. Expositions of the museums: The history of Rietavas (The wall paintings of artist J. Vosylius); The portraits of famous people of Rietavas; The fighting for freedom and resistance in Rietavas; The Soviet occupation and exile; Archaeological research of Rietavas manor; The development of education and culture in Rietavas; The ethnography of Rietavas area; The Lithuanian manors and development of culture.
Rokiškis Regional Museum
Rokiškis Regional Museum was established in 1933. It has two branches – Obeliai Museum of Freedom Fighting and Kriauna History Museum. From 1952 Rokiškis Regional Museum is settled in the complex of Rokiškis Manor. The Museum owns 14 authentic buildings and 28.1 hectares of park with ponds. The Museum collects, stores, and publicizes archaeological, historical, numismatics, ethnography exhibits and art. There are more than 100 thousand exhibits in the collection. Unique and valuable cultural heritage collection from various manors is exhibited in the halls of authentically restored Rokiškis Manor House. Carvings of the most famous godmaker - Lionginas Šepka - and the only collection in Lithuania of Christmas Cribs are exhibited in one of the buildings of Rokiškis Manor. The Museum does not focus only on expositional research work. Scientific, theoretical-practical conferences, symposiums, discussion evenings, publications presentations, meetings with artists and their artworks, plein airs are held here. In recent years a particular focus was set on the museum’s educational programmes. More than 30 various programmes were prepared for children and adults. Socially excluded people are also involved in the activities. Moreover, Rokiškis Regional Museum was awarded by prize from Ministry of Culture in 2010 for its educational activities. In 2011 Rokiškis Regional Museum was announced as a winner of EDEN (European Destinations of Excellence) contest ‘Lithuanian Tourism Destination 2011. Tourism and Regeneration of physical sites’.
Vytautas the Great War Museum
Address: K. Donelaičio g. 64, LT-44248, Kaunas.Phone: (8 37) 32 07 65, (8 37) 42 21 46, Ekskursijos užsakomos tel. (8 37) 32 09 39.Fax: (8 37) 32 07 65.E. Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Link
Vytautas the Great War Museum is one of the oldest and the biggest museums of Lithuania. It was opened on 16th February, 1921, on the Independence day of Lithuania. Vladas Nagevičius, brigadier general, an archaelogist, doctor was a founder and a head of the museum. Now the museum lives shaping the future by preserving our heritage, discovering new knowledge, and sharing our resources with the world. The mission of the Museum is to act as a bridge between the rich historical and cultural heritage of world cultures, as embodied in its collections, and the unique experience of each visitor. Dedicated to the primacy of the visitor experience, committed to excellence in every aspect of its collections and programs, and drawing on both new and traditional tools of communication, interpretation, and presentation, the Museum aims to serve its diverse public as a dynamic, innovative, and welcoming center for learning through the history. The museum accumulates, keeps, restores, investigates and propagates monuments of the Lithuanian nation and it\'s fights for freedom and independence of the Lithuanian State, displays telling about the history of Lithuania, evolution of weapons and military attributes, valuables of material and spiritual culture reflecting the history of Lithuania and other states, the art of military skills from the oldest time to our days. The museum contains 260 000 exhibits: archaeological finds, weapons, firearms, ammunition, army uniforms of various states,, banners, a collection of Balys Buracas\' (1897-1972) ethnographic photographs, paintings, maps, documents, the airplane Lituanica, on which Steponas Darius and Stasys Girėnas flew across the Atlantic Ocean in 1933, is on display and remains a popular exhibition.
Žemaičiai (Samogitian) Art Museum
Address: Parko g.1, LT-90117 Plungė.Phone: (8 448) 52 492, (8 448) 57 643. Fax: (8 448) 52 492E. Mail: Zd.muziejus[at]takas.lt Link
The museum was founded in 1994 in the former manor house of Duke Mykolas Oginskis (1849–1902), which was built in 1879. A musical school established by M. Oginskis functioned in the estate in 1889–1892 and the artist and composer Mikalojus Konstantinas Čiurlionis (1875–1911) is known to have attended it. The manor house is surrounded by one of the biggest parks in Lithuania with 7 cascade ponds and windings of the river Babrungas. Founder of the museum – Municipality of Plunge region. Coolections of the Museum: A collection of paintings and graphic works received as a gift from Lowland Lithuanians (Samogitians) living abroad: the collection comprises creative works by Juozas Bagdonas (USA), Jadvyga Paukštienė (USA), Adomas Galdikas (USA), Vytautas Ignas (USA), Telesforas Valius (Canada), Alfonsas Dargis (Germany), Vaclovas Ratas (Australia), Adomas Vingis (Australia), Pranas Gailius (France), and Magdalena Stankūnienė (USA). A collection of paintings and graphic works of Lowland Lithuanian (Samogitian) painters living in Lithuania: the collection comprises creative works by Antanas Kristopaitis, Vytautas Valius, Donatas Valatka, Bronius Grusas, Filomena Linčiutė-Vaitiekūnienė, Ignas Budrys, Svajūnas Armonas, Vidmantas Pinkevičius, Aloyzas Stasiulevičius, Vija Tarabildienė, Milda Kulikauskienė, Vytautas Moncevičius, Algimantas Švažas, Valdas Simutis, Valerijonas Jucys, Dalia Matulaitė, Arvydas Každailis. Prof. Ignas Končius’ Archive: personal things, iconography, letters, research works. Prof. Zenonas Ivinskis’ personal library and scientific archive, collection of rare printed matters: books, periodicals. Iconographical and ethnograpical material on the history of Plunge land: photographs, post-cards, working tools and household articles. Ancient folk art in 19th century: sculptures crosses.
Samogitian museum Alka
Address: Muziejaus g. 31, LT-87357 Telšiai.Phone: (8 ~ 444) 70 282, 70 160.E. Mail: info[at]muziejusalka.ltLink
Opening hours: November – March: Tuesday – Friday 9–17; Saturday 10–17. April – October: Tuesday – Saturday 9–17; Sunday 10–17. The Samogitian Museum “Alka” is the main historical museum of Samogitia. The museum offers the most comprehensive exhibit of Samogitian cultural development in Lithuania. It also introduces the visitor to the natural sites of Samogitia, Samogitian daily life, and the rich heritage of Samogitian artists. The museum opened in 1932 on the initiative of \"Alka\", a society devoted to the history of the Žemaičiai (Samogitians). Designed by architect Steponas Stulginskis (1908–1995) the museum\'s building dates back to 1937. The museum contains collections of archaeological finds, numismatics, exhibits related to history and nature of the Žemaičiai area and fine art. Museum – regional studies manner. Funds are made up of ethnographic, archaeological collections, applicable folk and figurative art works, historical collections (photos, documents, cartographic publications, books), cultural inheritance (legacy) of manors (pictures, furniture, books, sculptures, archives), examples of applied art, negatives and filmed materials; copious Educational Archive (collected recollections, diaries, educational works).